Whether you prefer your avocado smashed on toast, tossed in a salad, or blended in a smoothie, farmers are pleading for you to eat more with a new report showing a 26 per cent more increase in avocado production. It’s not just the growers that want you to eat more avocados either, with expert health professionals recommending an increased serving size due to their wealth of health benefits.
The expert health professionals involved seven key opinion leaders in nutrition, with myself being one of them, who all attended a round table. All experts in attendance assessed the available evidence and suggested a serving size of 75g a day, or half an avocado, which is an increase on the previous recommendation of 50g. This conclusion takes into account new research that shows more avocado is better for obtaining health benefits.
This global body of research along with a new CSIRO systematic literature review on cardiometabolic health and the consensus from the expert roundtable, has been summarised in a new report, Avocado Nutrition and Health: Reviewing the Scientific Evidence. You can download the report here. The new report highlights the many reasons why avocados are a nutritious food Australians could benefit from eating more of.
Benefits of Regular Avocado Consumption
Avocado are a source of nearly 20 nutrients and phytonutrients such as fibre, monounsaturated fats, folate, niacin, vitamins E and K, potassium, antioxidant polyphenols and carotenoids. According to the report, regular avocado consumption, as part of a healthy diet, may:
- Assist in weight management
- Improve lipid profiles and contribute to cardiovascular health
- Increase the diversity on abundance of gut microbiota for better gut health
- Maintain cognitive function in aging
- Improve skin appearance
- Help convert carotenoids to vitamin D for good vision.
6 Ways to Enjoy Avocado
- Start the day with smashed avocado and feta on wholegrain sourdough (grab a delicious Smashed Avocado and Feta recipe by CREID).
- Enjoy a mid-morning break with avocado dip and veggie sticks.
- Spread avocado onto your chicken and salad sandwich at lunch.
- Avoid the mid-afternoon slump with an avocado smoothie. Try this recipe by Australian Avocados.
- Toss avocado through your favourite and pair with marinated chicken breast.
- Add avocado to your chocolate mousse give it a decadent velvety finish. Try this delicious Chocolate Avocado Mousse recipe by Jemma O’Hanlon.