Passionfruit it in season and because of the warm conditions and later than usual plentiful supply, the fruit is deliciously sweet fruit. Here Passionfruit Australia provides three tasty ways you can use passionfruit.
PASSIONFRUIT AND YOGHURT SMOOTHIE
- 5 passionfruit
- 2 ½ cups skim milk
- ⅓ cup low-fat vanilla yoghurt
- 2 tsp wheatgerm (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 crushed ice-cube
- Halve the passionfruit and strain through a sieve to separate the juice from the pulp. Set the pulp aside.
- Crush ice in preparation for combining with other ingredients.
- Place the passionfruit juice in a blender along with the skim milk, yoghurt, wheat germ (if using) and honey.
- Add crushed ice.
- Blend until just smooth then stir through remaining passionfruit pulp and seeds as desired.
MOROCCAN GLAZED BBQ PRAWNS
For the marinade/glaze:
- 6 passionfruit
- 1/2 bunch coriander (roots & stems)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp mild paprika powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- Chilli powder, to taste
- Salt & pepper
For the remaining dish
- 24 peeled, deveined, raw prawns, tail on
- 16 bamboo skewers
- 2 passionfruit
- 1/2 bunch coriander (leaves, from above)
- Green salad and crusty bread, to serve
- Remove passionfruit pulp and place in a bowl, microwave for 30 seconds on high, then strain through a fine sieve. Reserve the juice and discard the seeds (optional).
- Thoroughly wash coriander and pick leaves, set aside for decoration. Chop the stems and roots and place in a mortar and pestle along with some salt. Grind to a paste, then mix in olive oil, all the spices, and passionfruit juice.
- Place marinade and prawns in a bowl and mix thoroughly to coat. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, soak skewers in some cold water for at least 30 minutes to prevent burning.
- Using 2 bamboo skewers at a time, thread three prawns onto each of the skewers so that the prawns are semi straight and sit snugly together. Keep remaining marinade and mix in the passionfruit and a little extra olive oil if you need to loosen it—this will be the glaze.
- Heat BBQ to a medium heat and place prawns on grill, baste constantly with the passionfruit glaze, turning every so often, and cook until the prawns are just cooked through (you will see when they change colour).
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves and a side of crusty bread and green salad.
PASSIONFRUIT KINGFISH CEVICHE
- 4 passionfruit
- 1 long green chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed
- 2 pinches ground cumin
- cracked black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 300g kingfish fillet
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced (optional)
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
- Halve the passionfruit and remove the juice and pulp.
- Mix with the chopped chilli, garlic, cumin, pepper and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Remove skin and any bones from the kingfish and slice into very thin slices (approximately 3mm wide).
- Place in a non-metallic bowl and pour over the passionfruit mixture, lightly tossing to coat.
- Cover And refrigerate for 1 hour or until fish has becomes opaque.
- To serve, arrange the kingfish on a large serving platter with red onion and radish (if using). Drizzle with remaining passionfruit mixture and sprinkle with coriander sprigs.
Note : serve with small slices of toasted baguette if desired, or wrap in baby butter lettuce leaves.