When pasta succumbs to the high-protein, low-carb craze, you have a pretty tasty, nutritious option.
With the low-carb movement, bread, rice, potato and pasta have been thrown to the curb and replaced with all things protein. But now the carbs are fighting back with the launch of Helga’s lower-carb bread and Vetta’s High Protein, Low Carb Pasta. Vetta’s High Protein, Low Carb pasta is part of their Smart Pasta range which also includes a Cholesterol Lowering pasta option. These pastas are specifically tailored for people looking for healthier alternatives, but who don’t want to compromise on taste. Vetta recently sent me a few samples of their pasta to try, and I loved the taste and texture.
Vetta’s High Protein Low Carb Pasta
I love the concept of a higher protein pasta, particularly for athletes and women needing to control their carbohydrate intake. Vetta’s High Protein, Low Carb pasta tasted great and I loved the Al dente texture. Nutritionally, it contains 50% more protein and 25% less carbs than conventional pasta, while also containing 10g of fibre per serve. The higher protein content comes from naturally from the addition of wheat gluten to durum wheat, while added oat fibre ensures the product is high in fibre. I whipped up a Chicken Pesto Pasta using Vetta’s High Protein, Low Carb pasta.
Chicken Pesto Pasta
150g Vetta high Protein Low Carb pasta
1 tsp olive oil
150g skinless chicken breast diced
2 tbsp pine nuts
1 garlic clove, diced
½ onion, diced
6 mushrooms, diced
½ red capsicum,diced
¼ cup pesto
¼ cup lite cream
1 cup cherry tomatoes,
1 cup baby spinach
Parmesan cheese, grated, to serve
Side salad, to serve
- Cook pasta in saucepan according to instructions on the pack, until tender. Drain and set pasta to the side.
- Heat fry pan and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add chicken and stir through. Remove from heat and set aside.
Roast pine nuts in fry pan until golden. Set aside with chicken.
- Heat fry pan and add remaining olive oil. Add garlic, onion, mushrooms and capsicum cooking, until soft.
- Add pesto and lite cream. Bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken, pine nuts, pasta and tomatoes, heating through for 2-3 minutes.
- Add baby spinach and cook for 1 minute.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese and with a side salad.