Love apples? Well you’ll love the two new apple varieties.
Last Wednesday I went along to Kitchen By Mike (note to self; must go back for lunch and to check out their shop!) in Rosebery to hear about two new varieties of apples – Greenstar® and Kanzi®. With Batlow apple growers present, we discovered that the first Greenstar® and Kanzi® trees were planted back in 2008. These varieties of apples are bred naturally by cross-pollination – the pollen is taken from one variety and used to fertilise the stamen of another. Kanzi® are a cross between a Braeburn and Gala apple and Greenstar® are a cross between a Granny Smith and a sweet, early season French apple called the Delbarestival. Here are some interesting facts about Greenstar® and Kanzi® apples.
- Are sweet, green-skinned apple.
- Packed with vitamin C (up to three times more than other apples), which keeps them from browning when cut. That means you don’t need lemon juice, additives or preservatives to stop them from browning! They’re perfect for garnish, cheese platters and for kids lunch boxes.
- Are super juicy and dubbed the ultimate thirst quencher.
- Are bright, shiny and red in colour.
- It has an intense flavour, but it’s the perfect balance of sweet and tart
Both of Greenstar® and Kanzi® were delicious on their own as well in the delightful dishes we enjoyed over lunch. These apples are now available in all good independent retailers and a selection of Woolworths and Costco stores until they run out. Buy them and tell me what you think!